Sadie, Sawyer, Canyon and Dallas

Sadie, Sawyer, Canyon and Dallas

Thursday, April 1, 2010

Road Trip

Last week we headed out to North Dakota to visit Alan's sister and her family. It is about a sixteen hour drive to get there. Our kids were troopers. I couldn't believe how good they were. We borrowed a DVD player from our friends which helped, but they didn't watch all the time.

We bought Lunchables for the trip just as something different. The kids loved them.


We stayed the first night in Montana. It is the first time the kids have ever stayed in a motel. Well, Sadie has before, but she was a baby and she can't remember it. They thought it was really cool. They got to swim and watch cartoons and they thought it was fun. When we told them we were staying at a motel on the way home, they were so excited.

When we came into ND, we saw what looked like tree fences. We thought it was odd until we found out they plant trees to protect their crops from the wind. It seems to be a very windy place.


While we were there, Kami had a birthday party for Rachael. I was really glad my kids could see these cousins so much. We don't see them much because they live so far away.

Movie Night!
Sledding!

My kids had so much fun playing with their cousins and I enjoyed getting to know Kami and Caleb better. I realized that I really didn't know them well and it was fun to visit and learn more about each other. Sadie didn't want to come home. She loves cousins and Jacob, Rachael and Aaron are no exception.
The biggest reason for our trip was so Alan could help them finish some rooms in their basement. Sawyer loved helping him. He had tools in his pocket, he measured and cut and hammered and drilled. It was funny to watch him. He went to the hardware store and the dump. He loved it. (Sawyer loves to go to the dump. He prays to go to the dump.)

On the way home, we stopped at Mt. Rushmore. We thought it was pretty cool. I am so glad we stopped even though it takes longer to go home that way.



We stayed in Wyoming then headed out for home. We stopped at Independence rock. There are pioneer names carved into it. It was cool.
Then we stopped at Martin's cove. Those poor pioneers. I can't imagine going through what they did. We weren't able to go up into the cove because it was Sunday and they don't run the ATV's on Sunday and it was really cold and we have two small kids so we weren't going to walk. Someday we will probably go back.

We saw so many trains. The kids, especially Sawyer, loved every single one.

We haven't went anywhere for a really long time and it was really fun to see some new territory. Thanks Kami and Caleb for letting us come!

4 comments:

EmmaLee said...

That is so nice that your kids were good. They are both so adorable and smart. I'm glad you got to sight see a bit too. I went to Mt. Rushmore when I was like 13. It's pretty cool!

Caleb said...

we were thrilled, my kids loved playing with thier cousins, and I had so much fun with you here, and we love our basement, when you have another break come on up.

Jenn Mobbs said...

So glad you had a great time! I am also gald you are home! We need to get together soon!

Amber said...

Great recap of a fun trip. I hope to see Mt. Rushmore for myself one day. Glad you are safe.